April 8, 2009

Excitements of Singapore

Dude! Singapore! It hasn't quite hit me yet. I am moving half way across the world. Like the farthest I can possibly get from Texas, and this huge thought won't hit until we start to pack. I have been searching some trails to run and it doesn't look like there is a whole lot, but more than Lake Jackson for sure! All we have is the Wilderness, which is in horrific condition, and the McClean trail, which is what I decide to run if I don't want to get up in the morning. Dad and I, if we want to run a trail, end up running behind houses in high grass. And I guarantee that we are the only ones because of the lack of hard beaten trail.

I am excited about high temperatures, tropical climates, easy transportation, new cultures, and probably at most, the food. I love Chinese food, I love Indian food, and I have never tried Malaysian food, but I am sure it is good too. I can't wait to hit the Hawker Centers and suck some bone marrow and eat sharks head.... not really... but Anthony Bourdain made it look good! I don't think that it is all gross food though. I think they have pretty normal food too, so I am not labeling them as the gross food country because that wouldn't be right. The budget for eating is unknown to me right now, but I am pretty sure we will be eating out a lot. Can't wait!

I am crazy pumped about the school I am going to. Anna and I are both going to ISS, and no we will not be spending our time at the "In School Suspension." This is not correct. International Singapore School. It has a different type of curriculum than American schools that, I think, will fit me better. It will be more challenging but I will understand and learn more. It is also a fun-looking school. They have a basketball program that I will probably join. I don't know if I will be much better or much worse than them, considering I am from America. But we will see. I don't know if basketball will mess with me running like it did all through Jr. High and Freshman High School. But once again, just like everything else about Singapore... we will see.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

You're paying for your own bone marrow and shark head. I'm not!

I'm glad you're excited!

Anita said...

Just checking to see if this works!
Love your blog Jakeb. I sent you an e-mail.